Author Topic: Last Cadet serial number 459?  (Read 10044 times)

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
Last Cadet serial number 459?
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »
Here's the only thing I've been able to locate on serial #459 in the FAA files.  Before this, I've always thought serial #458 was the last one.  Does anyone know what CAA form 132 is?  Does this mean that serial number 459 was actually completed and licensed by the CAA?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:47:14 AM by Bill Poynter »

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
Re: Last Cadet serial number 459
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 12:08:22 AM »
Bill,

This certainly makes it appear that there was a Culver LFA, NC41737, s/n 459 with a Franklin 4AC-176-F3 engine installed, manufactured on March 23, 1942.  I've never come across a "Form 132" before and the typed format makes me wonder if this was a CAA form, or a Culver form.  The assignment of an "Identification Number" indicates that the aircraft was registered with the CAA.  The manufacture date indicates that the aircraft was completed.  This does not indicate that an airworthiness certificate was issued.

You indicate that you located this in the FAA files.  Was this the result of a request for research of the serial number AND n-number with the Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, or did you find it by some other method?

Brett

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Last Cadet serial number 459
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »
Brett,

I also wondered if this form 132 was a Culver document.  The fact that the identification number doesn’t appear to have been created by a typewriter, makes me think CAA.

The copy of form 132 was located by Christi Law of www.planefaxreports.com .  I’ve had good luck in using them to obtain really fast results at reasonable prices.  She’s the one who located the file for serial number 101.  The FAA deregistered aircraft file actually shows N20946 as a Dart model GK. 

She found this form 132 buried in the file for a Cherokee 140 which currently carries N number 41737.

The only thing that makes me think that #459 was actually produced is the fact that the document actually shows a serial number for the engine.  Otherwise I would think that this was just a placeholder for the production approval and that Culver never actually got around to completing the plane.  It's also stamped unassigned

Bill
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:04:57 AM by Bill Poynter »

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
Re: Last Cadet serial number 459?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
Bill,

I recommend submitting this for research to the FAA aircraft registry.  I've had considerable success in getting records for deregistered aircraft from them (I've only had one that they couldn't locate records for out of probably 50 or so submitted).  Go to the URL below and enter the N-number and serial number.  You'll get a message about the N-number and serial number not being found.  Click "OK" and then complete the rest of the information requested.  The last several times I've done this I've ended up with the records on CD-ROM, and a bill for $10 (no search or copy charges).  If you go to Oshkosh, you can request the records there at the registration desk in the FAA building, and there will be no charge at all.

Brett

http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/ND/

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
I did as Brett suggested and submitted a request to the FAA for research on serial number 459.  I received a response from them today.  I've attached a copy of the letter below.

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »
Well that's a disappointing response.