Author Topic: Original Airbox for LCA  (Read 5556 times)

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
Original Airbox for LCA
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get one of these?

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
Re: Original Airbox for LCA
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
Bill,

The airbox in your photo appears to be considerably modified from what Culver originally used, at least on the LCA model.  Culver used the stock airbox that the Continental A75 came with (prewar), but modified it by cutting the front of the box off from 1/4 inch forward of the mounting flange angled to the original bottom edge.  This airbox had no provision for an air filter before or after the modification.  However the design may separate some solids out of the intake air by directing the intake air though a 180 degree turn before drawing it upward into the carburetor.  The old photos I've seen of the LFA appear to use the same or very similar airbox.

Unfortunately this style airbox seems to be very hard to come by.  I have one that came with my Cadet that has been somewhat damaged, but may be usable.  I've seen one on eBay in the past few years that was in excellent condition, but unfortunately I missed the auction.  I've also seen a couple of others that were modified enough to not be of interest to me.

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:32:21 PM »
I saw the one on eBay and intended to bid, but didn't get around to it before the bidding closed.  I think it only sold for about $20.00.  The photo was sent to me by Carl Walston.  I have some more views of it somewhere.  I think he made a provision to insert filter media into his.  I'm working on a new lower cowl and hope to use an airbox that looks original.  Here's a photo of the one that was on eBay:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:46:15 PM by Bill Poynter »

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »
That one from eBay in your photo is the original type, but the front of it is cut off wrong for the Cadet and is therefore missing quite a bit of metal compared to what was used on the Cadet (the bottom appears to be at least 4 inches shorter.)  It also looks like this one had the tube broken off the bottom and replaced.  The original drain tube on the bottom was integral with no fittings.

I'll try to get a photo posted for you in the next few days showing an original.