Author Topic: N Number originally assigned to each serial number  (Read 16128 times)

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
N Number originally assigned to each serial number
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »
Does anyone have a list of the N Numbers that were originally assigned to each Cadet serial number?  I was wondering if the Cadet in the museum in Chile was originally US registered, or was it exported directly from the factory.  It appears to be serial number 445.  Serial 444 is N41726 and serial 446 is the consecutive registration, N41727.  The Chilean registration is CC-PDB.

There's a photo of it on airliners.net.

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: N Number originally assigned to each serial number
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
I made an email inquiry to Stan Piteau and received a reply which I'm posting below:

Sorry, but don't have much on s/n 445. It is an LFA. 
It was registered in Chile March 1, 1943 as CC-ACZ-308.
Apparently registered as CC-JSY-308 August 22, 1945.
Became registered as CC-PSY December 31, 1945.
Registered as CC-PDB January 20, 1965. 
Photos still show CC-PDB on the aircraft, however I understand the this registration was later on Cessna 182L, c/n 58653 or at least was as of January 2002. 
The aircraft has been at the museum at least since March of 1996. This, mind you is not first hand information but was relayed to me by a visitor to Chile.
Quite a number of Cadets were exported to Mexico and South America directly from the factory which can explain some of the gaps where I have been unable to match up serial numbers with the US registration numbers and do not know if in fact US registration numbers were assigned.                               

May your skies always be C. A. V. U.                 

Stan

Dan C

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
How many Cadets were manufactured? Starting with s/n ? - ending with s/n?
Dan

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
I've just posted a list of Cadet serial numbers on the website.   I received the list from Mike Geary, but it appears to have been created by Stan Piteau.  This list starts at 100 and ends at 459.  A lot of the serial numbers don't have N numbers associated with them.  It looks as though several Cadets were exported and never received a US registration.  I was under the impression that the last number was 458, but this list says 459.  I wonder what kind of red tape was involved in exporting an aircraft during wartime.  Here's a link to the list:  http://www.culvercadet.com/manuals/SerialNumbers.pdf
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:45:15 PM by Bill Poynter »

Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
In this case I'm wondering what revolked means?   I have N37823  #373 with complete logs from time it rolled out of factory in Aug. 41.  Owned by five people from N.Y. down to the last two in Fl. before I bought it here in Ar.  It was in storage since 1964.

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »
If you have a Certificate of Registration in your name, I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The registration may have been revoked at one time, and later reinstated.  Have you checked on the Certificate of Airworthiness?

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:06:43 AM »
I don't think it was uncommon for registrations to have been revoked in the 1970s, usually due to failure to return a triennial aircraft report.  If you request the aircraft records CD from the FAA it should show the reason for the revocation. http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/copies_aircraft_records/

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
It concerns me that when the FAA deregisters an aircraft, all records of it's existance are destined to become unavailable on the FAA public access website.  There are lots of vintage aircraft in storage that are now very difficult to locate due to FAA record purging.  It may be that those records are still in the system and available to someone able to log in with a higher access level than given to the general public.  It would be great if the FAA would provide a link to those records. 

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 01:38:25 AM »
Bill,

I've had good luck requesting FAA records CDs for deregistered aircraft in the past few years.  Although the FAA website mentions various research charges and paper copies, I've received records on CDs for $10 despite the aircraft N-number/serial number not showing on the FAA's website.  I've also received several of these for free by requesting them at the FAA building at Oshkosh.

Dan C

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:50:33 AM »
My experiences ditto Brett. Ancient "N" numbers that have even been reissued can be researched from the FAA's "dead file." They will be in hardcopy as they went dead before microfische and CDs. If you are ever at the registration branch in OKC and I have been there several times, you can get records for free.
Dan

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
Dan,

Is the public documents room at OKC now open to the public again?  I requested several "dead" records in person there back in 2000, but was charged both search and copy fees at that time.  I saw in 2002 or 2003 that the Public Documents Room was NOT open to the Public (as a result of reaction to 9/11). 

In recent years (2006-present) I've requested "dead" records at Oshkosh during the EAA Convention.  Everything I've requested there has been provided on CD, and at no charge.

Brett

EDIT:  Disregard the question.  I see that the Public Documents Room now requires making an appointment at least 24 hours in advance.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:35:16 AM by Brett Lovett »

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:22 PM »
If anyone has updated information regarding the status of any of the Cadets on the Serial Number list, please forward it to me and I'll edit the list.

http://www.culvercadet.com/manuals/SerialNumbers.pdf