Author Topic: Part # for Marvel Schebler MA3 / Ma3A?  (Read 10552 times)

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
  • N Number: N34793
Part # for Marvel Schebler MA3 / Ma3A?
« on: April 05, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
Does anyone know where to find the part # for a Marvel Schebler MA3a? 
This is for a Franklin 4AC-199E3

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
Re: Part # for Marvel Schebler MA3 / Ma3A?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:56:53 PM »
From what I can find the appropriate Marvel-Schebler part number for installation on any Franklin 4AC-199 90 H.P. engine is A10-2302.  I found this in a "Service Parts List Model MA-3A as used on Franklin Aircraft Engines" attached to a copy of a Franklin 4AC-199 Operators Handbook & Parts Catalog.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:00:34 PM by Brett Lovett »

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 10:00:10 PM »
From what I can find the appropriate Marvel-Schebler part number for installation on any Franklin 4AC-199 90 H.P. engine is A10-2302.  I found this in a "Service Parts List Model MA-3A as used on Franklin Aircraft Engines" attached to a copy of a Franklin 4AC-199 Operators Handbook & Parts Catalog.

Hi Brett,
I found that a few hours after posting, just got home and see you came up with the same.
Thanks for you feedback on this.
Best Regards,
Joe

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »
Ok, next series of questions.
Do all Marvel carbs have data plates?  This one is a MA-3A but there isn't a flange cast in the body where the data plate is normally located.
I've been told by some that this is not unusual on the older MS carbs, and another opinion that this carb is not legal for use?
If anyone one has a spare MA3A with data plate, I would like to purchase one as right now I am grounded. 
Looking like no Sun-N-Fun this year....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:18:18 AM by JoeB »

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:09 PM »
Joe,

The Franklin part number for the carburetor is 10585 (listed in the 4AC-199 Parts Catalog).  I think this part number would have been stamped somewhere on the carb and should provide positive identification of the correct carburetor.  I hope maybe this will help.  I'm unsure on the data plate issue. 

If you haven't already, you might try contacting Marvel-Schebler.  After my experience with a Hartzell representative (the supposed expert on Hartzell wood propellers) claiming it was illegal to fly an airplane (any airplane) with a Hartzell wood propeller (any Hartzell wood propeller) installed, I would advise caution, a sense of humor, and thick skin when making contact with them.  They don't show the A10-2302 as a valid part number, nor do they show any part numbers for pre-war Franklin engines, so they may be very helpful, or they may claim that it is illegal to use any Marvel-Schebler carburetor on any pre-war Franklin engine.

customerservice@msacarbs.com | Toll Free: 855-672-2272

Brett

Paul Rule

• View Profile
  • N Number: N37814
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:27:19 PM »
I have 6 pages of "Operating & Maintenance Instructions for the MA-3A  p/n A10-2302 as part of my 4AC-199 Maintenance & parts book.

The 6 pages include an illustrated parts breakdown... but no data plate..  For me the answer is - no data plate on these early carbs...  the p/n should be stanped into it probably on the lower flange where the air box bolts on.

This is all in the Franklin manual that Bill P. copied elswhere on this site.
P.R.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:34:07 PM by Paul Rule »

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 09:19:08 PM »
I have 6 pages of "Operating & Maintenance Instructions for the MA-3A  p/n A10-2302 as part of my 4AC-199 Maintenance & parts book.

The 6 pages include an illustrated parts breakdown... but no data plate..  For me the answer is - no data plate on these early carbs...  the p/n should be stanped into it probably on the lower flange where the air box bolts on.

This is all in the Franklin manual that Bill P. copied elsewhere on this site.
P.R.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for this feedback.  After much discussion, this is what was determined during the annual.  I was very happy to hear this as I really don't like messing with something that isn't broken!
-Joe