Author Topic: Land gear hanging down while flying  (Read 4337 times)

Tim Lunceford

• View Profile
  • N Number: 18064 41726 41722
Land gear hanging down while flying
« on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »
Hi evryone,   Mark Penner stopped by Wendesday to pick up my uncompleted Cadet project.  After loading it in his truck  I decided to check him out in my daughters Cadet purchased from Carl Baggett a couple years ago.   We jack-up the airplane and Mark cycle the gear a couple of time to get familiar with it.   I checked the gear doors while the wheels were up in the wells and they seem to be closed good and tight.  Took the plane off the jacks and sent Mark on his way.   It was obvious that Mark is an excellent pilot.   Mark flew around,  did a couple of touch and goes and landed.  A little later Mark again flew the Cadet in formation with me flying the model G Monocoupe, ( now know as the Culver Dart).  Mark had mentioned that he thought the right gear was hanging out a little.  I looked and it was not closed tight as it had been on the jacks.  I asked Mark to try rotating the wheel a little to get the last click.  He tried but the gear was still hanging out a little.   Do any of you have a fix for this?     Tim

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
Re: Land gear hanging down while flying
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:13:09 AM »
Paul Rule posted a good explaination on adjusting the gear in reply #8 of the thread: http://culvercadet.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=37.msg191#msg191

The short answer seems to be: Because of the retract geometry, the right gear will always hang a little lower than the left.  To keep it out of the airstream as much as possible, try to adjust both gear legs so that the left one catches the last click of the ratchet as close to the upper limit of travel as possible.  Hopefully, the right gear will be out of the wind.